Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Sleeper, Caveats, and a Pick...the 2006 Season Starts Tonight!

One final order of business before we get into the 2006-07 season. My sleeper team for this year is...the Cleveland Browns! Now, when some people think of a sleeper, they think of a team that comes out of nowhere to win a championship. I view a sleeper as a team that nobody is talking about that will be better than people think, and will be a tough out if they’re on the schedule. I had a few teams in mind, but they don’t fit my true definition, therefore I’m going with one of the two teams I named in Week 15 last season (the other team was Miami, and nobody is sleeping on them). Cleveland has good young players on offense (QB Charlie Frye, WR Braylon Edwards, and TE Kellen Winslow II), a decent defense (bolstered by the veteran leadership of ex-Pat Willie McGinest) and a head coach that possesses a winning attitude and pedigree. The Browns are headed in the right direction.

And now, the 2006 picks. If you’re new to this, you need to no a few general rules I live by in terms of picking games, such as:
1. I always take the Eagles, straight up and against the spread, regardless of opponent, location, or line.
2. I NEVER take the Cowboys, straight up and against the spread, regardless of opponent, location, or line.
3. I am not sanctioned by the NFL, which means I can tell you if I think a team sucks without repercussions.
4. Some "experts" have a ‘Lock of the Week’ and/or an ‘Upset of the Week,’ which is simply a gimmick. I do not imply such tactics. If I don’t see an upset happening in a particular week, I won’t call for one. And I think all of my picks are locks, or else I wouldn’t pick them.
5. Last and perhaps most importantly, the picks are provided for your entertainment only. If you use them to gamble and win some money, I don’t accept kickbacks. Conversely, if you lose your lunch money for listening to my dumb ass, that’s on you. I will not be held responsible.

This is the beginning of my fifth year of picking every NFL game, which started as me reading a column by a guy named Pete O’Brien in USA Today about six years ago. Some of the guy’s picks were so out of line that I jotted down my own picks and compared to his on Monday. Needless to say, I hit most of my picks. I actually compiled my record over the last four seasons. Unfortunately, computer problems preclude me from accessing the file right now, but I will pass it along when I can. One thing I do remember is that my win totals have increased in each of the four years. And last I checked, Pete O’Brien is no longer employed by USA Today. Score one for The Kid...

The Match-up: Miami (Pick) @ Pittsburgh
The Skinny: I’ve gone back and forth on this one. After Ben Roethlisberger’s appendectomy shelved him for the opener, I started leaning towards the Fins. But in Pittsburgh, where they will hang a Super Bowl banner and honor the recently retired Jerome Bettis, the atmosphere should be sensational. While I like the look of the Dolphins this year, I think the Steelers will ride the emotion of Heinz Field and the defense (and The Bus) to a close win over Miami.
Straight Up: Pittsburgh
Against the Spread: Pittsburgh