Saturday, April 21, 2007

04/20 Quick Hits

A couple of quick hitters as I ponder who the Phillies will hire as their next manager…

My mock draft was picked up by a
Washington Redskins fan site, which I’ve linked this site to. I also linked to a D.C. sports blog, which is pretty good reading. Washington, like Philly. is a great sports town. Gilbert Arenas may the most entertaining player in the NBA (not the best, mind you – I’m a Kobe guy). The Capitals have a dynamic duo of Alexander Ovechkin and Alexander Semin. The Nationals are opening a new park next year. But despite the fact that they have all four major sports, Washington, like Philly, lives and dies by its football team. And, they hate the Cowboys almost as much as we do.

Another thing going for D.C.? They’ve got a great radio station in DC 101. Anytime I’m cruising up or down I-95, I pick up DC 101 as early as possible and listen to it until it turns to static. Well, unless it’s mid-day and the Jim Rome show is on. I am a clone, after all.

This week’s admission from potential top-ten picks WR Calvin Johnson, DE Gaines Adams, and DT Amobi Okoye that they have used marijuana is getting a lot of run, like it’s a cause for concern. You mean college kids experiment with pot? I am both shocked and dismayed. What’s next, are you going to tell me that these guys have had beer to? Look, I’m guessing the question that was posed to these guys was more “have you ever smoked” as opposed to “are you a habitual smoker,” and their owning up to it now is certainly better than one of them failing a drug test. Something tells me Johnson, Adams, and Okoye will still go early on the 28th.

The irony of this story breaking around April 20th is not lost on me. I’m not sure why they call this the “Stoner’s Holiday.” If anybody is sitting at home all baked up today and want to clue me in, please do so (nfl_ant@hotmail.com).

In a quasi-related story, former Dolphins running back and current Toronto Argonaut Ricky Williams wants back in the NFL, and rumors are he may land in St. Louis to back up Steven Jackson. After being relegated to the CFL, I don’t think Ricky would have a problem being a back up in the NFL. Plus, you can never have enough good backs. Seems like a win-win to me.

Here’s a thought on Dom Imus that might surprise you – I don’t think he should have been fired. Look, I’m a Stern guy from way back (not so much anymore since he’s on satellite now). For years, I defended his right to say whatever the hell he wanted (as guaranteed in the first amendment to the Constitution). I don’t like religious watchdog groups telling you what you can and can’t hear. Much as Imus has the right so free speech, listeners have the right to change the channel, or turn the radio off altogether. Is Imus a bigot? Perhaps. Should the Rutgers women be offended? Absolutely. Does his firing have an affect on me? Depends on what the local sports radio station puts on in his place. I guess if advertisers were starting to pull out and cost CBS a bunch of money, that’s a whole different animal. But I’d sound very hypocritical if I say he should have been fired.

Happy trails, Corey Dillon.